Friday, March 25, 2005

Cuaresma : Taboo

My toothache is gone for now. I went visit my folks in Tondo this morning. While on the road, I hear adults and youngs on their pasyon, and men on maroon shirt walking barefoot carrying the image of Nazareno. This stuff got my attention.

When I was on my destination, I got great conversation with my relatives and I found out that my cousin, Gel, snuck out to join the penitensya. I saw a couple of shots from her sister's phone. I feel sick that time and she even played a video. His young body is flowing with blood from fresh cuts on his back. Confusion began (after she told me that I looked like someone in a Korean TV series, so much for that) when all this stuffs run through my mind. She told me that this is not the first time that Gel joined this penetensya stuff. Gel that time was currently resting because the penitensya event was done this morning.

Based from my observation; pasyon disturbs its neighborhood. People who join this penetensya are nuts. Jesus doesn't want his brothers to feel the pain he went thru. Jesus sacrifices has a very big difference from wounding your own body. God made our body so beautiful and people are only gonna destroy it. Shame. Palm leaves are used to welcome Jesus. It does not posses any powers that wipe away all bad spirits that would enter the house. Because of this belief people buy many of this palaspas and placed it all over the house that should only be placed at the entrance door. Sighs. These things are becoming a tradition like this bisista iglesia stuff, what more if this became a habit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment